Monday, October 3, 2011

Getting my pcos under control

I was diagnosed with pcos in 2009 and it has been a downhill battle ever since. Pcos (polycystic ovarian syndrome) is an endocrine disorder that causes infertility, miscarriage, weight gain, excess hair growth, acne, irregular periods or none at all, and if left untreated it is a leading cause of uterine cancer, not to mention a host of many other issues. Around 1 in 10 women suffer from this disorder but still half of the people I speak to have no idea what the hell I am talking about.
             I was so confused when I first got diagnosed as to how these little cysts and hormone issues could reek such havoc on my body. In the span of about 7 years I have gone from weighing 150 to now being 217 (at my heaviest 222) It has also put me in the hospital. Last year my boyfriend and I were watching chopped (my favorite show ever) and I felt the worst pain I have ever experienced. It felt like someone was taking my ovaries and putting them into a meat grinder. I was rushed to the er and hooked up to all of these contraptions and had 2 iv's. It turned out that I was not dying but one of my cysts had ruptured and I pray to God that that never happens to me again.
              I am 23 and the thought of having children is really starting to set it. It makes me sad knowing that I will 1. maybe not be able to have children 2. could not hold a viable pregnancy 3. that it may take years for me to get pregnant and 4. I may have to spend thousands of dollars in fertility treatments to even get pregnant. Babies are still a few years down the road but the one thing I have always wanted was to be a mother and the thought that I may not be able to get pregnant kills me. BUT I am starting to take charge of this damn condition and hopefully if I try hard enough what I am going through may get better.
                    Most of the time when you have pcos you are insulin resistant meaning in simple terms your body does not know how to handle the intake of carbs or sugar which turns it to fat. Women with insulin resistant pcos take metformin to help the body to use carbs and sugar correctly. Usually when you start metformin it helps take off a lot of the weight caused by the pcos. I have started taking metformin extended release 500 mg 2 times a day and I am already starting to lose weight. With the mix of my meds, exercise and a normal diet I am hoping I have found my dream team to finally get this weight off for good!  Sorry for my ramble I just have a lot to say tonight! I hope you are all doing well with your battles and that this will be your year to kick some butt too! Goodnight <3

No comments:

Post a Comment